Earlier this year BISSuper had the pleasure of taking part in the Investment Trends “2019 Self Managed Super Fund Survey”. The survey primarily examined the roles played by accountants and planners in assisting Trustees to manage their SMSF’s. A number of interesting statistics were also uncovered which demonstrate that the popularity of SMSF’s doesn’t appear to be waning.
Some of the high level findings were:
- SMSF assets grew 4% in the previous 12 months.
- 1 in 5 super fund members (currently in retail/industry funds) plan to set up an SMSF at some point in the future.
- The top reasons identified for members setting up their own Funds are:
- Greater control over their investments,
- Achieving better returns, and
- Positive experience from friends and other trusted advisers
- The demand for SMSF advice has increased significantly in the previous 12 months. Areas that Trustees were wanting assistance with range from pension and estate planning strategies, to identifying undervalued assets and strategies for protecting assets/income against market falls.
At BISSuper these surveys help us gain greater insight into how we can better help our Trustees manage their SMSF’s. However, whilst this kind of information is valuable, the most important feedback we can get is from our clients.
Statistics courtesy of Investment Trends, Highlights from the 2019 Self Managed Super Fund Survey, 2019.